There is nothing quite like the smell of carom seeds being roasted in ghee, before being added to a dal or lentil stew. Or the aroma given off by a good ajwaini chicken or paneer tikka roasting on the flame, the marinade laced with carom to give it a smoky, pungent taste. Or the extra crunch the seeds add to a freshly fried batch of omapodi – the south Indian sibling of bhujia – wildly popular during festivals like diwali. There are as many uses for carom in Indian and south Asian cuisines as there are dishes, but it is also considered essential for the body to detox – it has antacid and digestive properties, and can reduce indigestion and flatulence if boiled and drunk as a tea. Carom smells similar to thyme and oregano, and can be used as a substitute for these in salads and roasts, but in very tiny quantities – it’s quite strong! It also needs to be roasted or fried rather than used raw, since it needs to release its oils to develop its signature classic aroma. It can also be sprinkled over flatbread and biscuits, like in Afghani and south Asian cuisine. Use jk masale’s superior quality carom to add a unique spice to your cabinet, herby, pungent, and with loads of character.
JK Ajwain 50g
- Add an extra kick to your curries and stews with jk masale’s superior quality carom seeds!
- All natural Indian origin carom/ajwain, cleaned and sorted through a strict sortex process
- Non-gmo and no preservatives!
- Ready to use in a wide array of Indian, pakistani, bangladeshi, sri lankan and Afghani dishes
- From a 60 year old traditional Indian family business that is FSSAI certified and iso 22000 certified